National Pandemic Influenza Plan
This National Pandemic Influenza Plan is based on eight core elements:
- communications strategy
- telephone hotline
- outlining the responsibilities of the public
- antiviral drugs
- pandemic vaccine
- reorganisation of health services and redeployment of health service staff
- essential supplies.
This plan is based on the assumption that 96% of those who fall ill can be cared for in their own homes. Much of the planning effort revolves around making this possible.
- a communications plan to keep healthcare professionals and the public informed and advised at all times
- provision of antiviral medicines to those who fall ill to reduce the duration and severity of their symptoms
- a dedicated telephone hotline to provide advice and support.